The University was founded in 1942 as a Higher Technical School. In 1945 it was transformed into a State Polytechnic. In 1953 the Polytechnic was divided into several institutes one of them being the Institute of Civil Engineering, which was renamed to Higher Institute of Civil Engineering in 1963 and to Higher Institute of Architecture and Civil Engineering in 1977. In 1990 by decision of its General Assembly the Institute was renamed to University of Architecture, Civil Engineering and Geodesy (UACEG), the official accreditation being voted by the Parliament on the 21st of July 1995. In five faculties - Architecture, Civil engineering, Transportation Engineering, Hydraulic Engineering, Geodesyand and 33 departments, senior executives are educated for the following majors: Architecture, Urban Planning, Structural Engineering, Transportation Engineering, Water Supply and Sewerage, and Geodesy.
The public mission of UACEG is secular and it is education- and research-oriented. Wide variety of architectural and civil engineering knowledge is acquired, and practical skills are developed at the University in harmony with the local, European and global traditions as well as with the state policy for the higher education development in the Republic of Bulgaria. This mission is materialized in the course of the following degree programmes: Architecture, Structural Engineering, Transportation Engineering (Road Construction, Railway Construction), Hydraulic Engineering (Hydraulic Structures, Irrigation and Drainage Engineering), Water Supply and Sewerage and Geodesy.